[Plant-biology] herbicide selection help

les les at rcn.com
Tue Aug 2 16:59:29 EST 2005

I've been reading the labels of Ortho and other manufacturers at the
garden center, and asked the "help" of their staff without avail.
I get no help, maybe because it doesn't exist........
I'm trying to use a broadspectrum weedkiller around shrubs like
Rose of Sharon (a sturdy variety of Hibiscus) and other shrubs.
I know stunt tactics like weed-cloth are effective, and plant to
eventually get to this, but in the meantime I thought something is
available for use around shrubs. So far I found:
Grass killer around shrubs
Weedkiller for lawns
Is this too close for comfort? Are weeds and shrubs too similar
for chemical warfare to differentiate the good from bad?
Even the Ortho manual  THE BIG BOOK lacks an index about their
product limitation and restrictions.............
Anyone know what's the reason?
Anyone know what product I might consider?

Thanks