Question About Petunias

Doug Kanter ancientangler at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 08:36:55 EST 2004

A few more things:

When you pinch off spent petunia flowers, don't just remove them as far back
as the little green "funnel" from which they grow. The funnel will have a
very short green stem behind it - get rid of that, too, unless there are new
buds in that area. And, the stems of healthy petunias can be sticky and
somewhat fibrous, so scissors help. The best tool for trimming in tight
spots: Joyce Chen kitchen scissors from a cooking store. They'll cut through
chicken bones, so very few plant stems present a problem. The same tool is
sold in garden stores for two or three times the price, as "florist's
snippers" or some such name.

-Doug

"pilk00" <pilk00 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:SeydnZGvm73otkfd4p2dnA at comcast.com...
> Thanks, Doug, for all the info!  I'm going to do the pinching & try to
> recondition the "soil".
>
> Dan
>
> "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:VxkCc.5$3c2.2 at news02.roc.ny...
> > "Cereus-validus" <fashizzle.youself at spam.net> wrote in message
> > news:0PcCc.7214$Pt.3569 at newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> > > Yeah right.
> > >
> > > Go ahead and blow on the plants and see what that does.
> >
> > He said "flowers are shriveled". One reason for that is simply that the
> > flowers are spent, but the rest of the plant could be fine. He did NOT
say
> > the leaves were shriveled up, brown and dead.
> >
> > 1) Pinch off the dead flowers along with the buds beneath them.
> >
> > 2) Water the bejeezus out of the plant. If the pot has a bottom tray
> > attached, leave the residual water in the tray until it is absorbed.
Don't
> > spill it out, especially if the soil was extremely dry before watering.
> >
> > Most nurseries use a soilless mix for potted plants. Often, it's nothing
> but
> > peat moss, vermiculite and/or perlite, and some lime to get the pH
right.
> > The main purpose of this mix to that it's disease-free. The disadvantage
> is
> > that when the mix (especially the peat moss) dries out completely, it's
> > tough to get it to absorb water again. It's sort of like a totally dry
> > sponge. Like the sponge, the soil actually shrinks. You'll notice that
> it's
> > actually pulled in from the sides of the pot. You have to re-wet the
soil
> > just to make it ready to behave like soil should. It never will behave
> > exactly like natural soil, but it's not worth going into the reasons
why.

> > Also: Hanging pots force plants to survive in weird conditions. Put a
> > sun-loving plant like a petunia or marigold in a sunny garden bed and
> it'll
> > thrive. Put the same plant in a pot and it's another story. The
> temperature
> > of the pot & soil are at LEAST as hot as the surrounding air, and
usually
> > higher if the pot's in the sun all day. These plants are not designed
for
> > their roots to be that hot. You have to make up for it with extra water.
> If
> > you can't provide it, you must either move the pots to a shadier place
and
> > accept somewhat less "performance", or find a way to keep the plants in
> the
> > sun, but shade the pots. Finally, you can switch to enormous pots.
That's