How easily detect the growth rate of a filamentous cyanobacteria?

stjops genachib at gmx.de
Thu Oct 23 03:52:37 EST 2003

Hello,

During my Ph.D. I work with the filamentous cyanobactria Scytonema
hofmanni. This species forms globes of filaments. It is important to
detect the growth rate during the experiment without termination.
In this aggregates it is difficult to count the cells. An other
method, detecting the chlorophyll fluorescence, is difficult, because
I work with different light intensities.

How can I easily detect the growth rate of my "baby"?

Thank you very much!

Stefan