quick and dirty total RNA quantitation from Cyanobacteria

Cereoid-UR12 cereoid at prodigy.net
Tue May 6 13:39:05 EST 2003

Now, that's a really good gardening question.

Gardeners worry about that all the time while pulling weeds from their
flower beds!!!

Cyanobacteria aren't even plants!!!

<giordano at univpm.it> wrote in message
news:20030506163236.30633.qmail at ww02.hostica.com...

> I am looking for a quick and dirty way to get an estimate of total RNA
extracted from the cyanobacterium Phormidium autumnale. The RNA has been
extracted with a standard Phenol-Chloroform procedure and it is now frozen
in DEPC-trated water.

> The purpose is just to get an estimate of total mRNA levels in P.
subjected to (drastically) different light treatments.

> How can I quantify this RNA with minimal interference from DNA or free
bases, without having to go through complex image analysis or purification
procedures?