Plant name?

Robin Somes robin at badminston.demon.co.uk
Mon May 27 15:16:26 EST 2002

In article <3cf2908e$1 at news.swissonline.ch>, adri <devide at pop.agri.ch>
writes
>I was in the Channel Islands and have seen a beutiful plant growing
>along the shore and on clips. It has fleshy leaves with a triangular
>cross section and flowers of yellow, red and purpur colour. The plant
>is growing on the ground and in extended flat spots. Can anyone tell me
>the name and maybe where i can see a picture of that plants?

It's called Hottentot Fig, Carpobrotus edulis. It grows on cliffs and
other such places along the south-western coast of the UK, France and
Ireland. It's very beautiful; it's related to the garden
Mesembryanthemum. Originally came from S. Africa. If you do a search on
Google for the latin or common name, you'll no doubt find pictures of
it.

cheers,
robin

--