Bamboo

Dennis B. Peters dbpeters at tscnet.com
Thu May 2 01:14:48 EST 2002

Peterthinks wrote:

> Hi new here....hope you're friendly
>
> I have a bamboo plant....bought it at Safeway it is living in a foam that I
> keep filled with water...
> I want to propagate it and make it bigger...a large pot filled with stems...
> something majestic
>
> right now it is just a couple stems with some shoots on it....growing very
> slow.
> any suggestions?
> should I transplant it as is? should I bury it on it's side with a shoot
> pointing up?
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> Peter

There are about four hundred species of Bamboo. Bamboo's do have the propagating
soils in common. The soil should be slightly acidic. Normal potting soil should
be OK. Bamboo's are very hardy plants and thrive from tropical to temperate
climates and range from sea level to 10,000 feet in  altitude. I have taken such
plantings as you  have and succeeded in potting them in clay and sandy soils.
Bamboo's are very adaptable. A must, bamboo's require frequent watering for good
growth but they will tolerate short droughts.