Can this Staghorn Fern be saved?

Eleesabet eleesabet at aol.com
Sat Mar 16 17:15:38 EST 2002

I was wondering if anyone might be able to answer a question about a small
plant I've been growing in a pot for 2 years.  It was never very robust in
growth, even though I mixed a special soil for it.  Leaves would shrivel and
turn lifeless before they had a chance to thrive.  I think I was keeping the
plant's roots much to damp because when I was  transplanting it onto a piece of
board today, the top portion of the plant (with 5 or 6 small leaves) fell away
from the brown shield.  Is there any chance of saving this plant?  If so, how?
Will the green portion be able to put out new roots if it is kept on a board
with moss and misted?
Any ideas would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Elizabeth