naming of species?

Richard Brooks richardbrooks at kdbanglia.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 16:36:32 EST 2001

"Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
news:XFvx7.1194$r97.222762189 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
> In that case, you will want to find out what you can about the Hollyhock,
> Alcea rosea, and which cultivars compare with yours. Find out if there are
> any plant breeders that specilize in them.
>
> I must admit that I have seen whitish double-flowered plants in gardens
but
> yours may be different.
>
> http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/TRA/PLANTS/demogardens/alcea.htm
>
> http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/TRA/PLANTS/demogardens/alceacup.htm

Great pictures, thanks for that!

I'd assume that 'double' is in a range of a doubling of petals as the ones I
have are basically hemispheres of tightly packed petals and it's a treat
watching the bees force their way into the globe of petals to pollinate the
thing, disappearing in the process.

Richard.