Heavy water and plants

David Hedrick davidbhedrick at nxs.net
Tue Oct 2 13:34:44 EST 2001

Carsten:

	Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen - it has a neutron and a proton, as
opposed to regular hydrogen's single proton.  It is not radioactive.  It
is not bigger, it is heavier than protium.  Since it is heavier, it
reacts more slowly than regular water when making/breaking a bond to
hydrogen is the rate limiting step.  Don't try to figure which of the
thousands of chemical reactions in the cell are affected.  Not only are
there too many, but they are all happening at once, and synergistic and
paradoxical effects will abound.
	Since every enzyme in the plant evolved to use H20, everything will go
wrong in D20.  The first thing to do, of course, is to find out what has
been done before.  Plants have been grown in heavy water before.  Don't
re-invent the wheel.  Since most basic nuclear research was done before
the advent of the internet, you will have to go to a library and use
bound paper indexes.  Be sure to check government documents as well as
scientific publications.  I don't know about availability in Germany,
but I think most of the US research is available there through NATO
programs.
	A quick check of the internet finds Bhatia & Smith at Brookhaven are
growing Arabidopsis in deuterated water.  No plants reached maturity at
over 10% heavy water.

--

		~DBH

Hedrick Services - literature search, technical writing, and data
analysis.

	davidbhedrick at nxs.net