REQ INFO - White Butterfly Plant

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:44:29 EST 2001

If you're speaking of Synconium, yes, it's a member of the Araceae.
Just about everything in this family has calcium oxalate crystals that
will cause burning and swelling in the mouth if ingested.  Usually,
though, the effect is so unpleasant that nibblers don't eat very
much--the only real danger is that they will swallow enough to cause
the throat to swell shut.  Keep this plant out of kitty's reach, and
train her with the squirt bottle or the bitter apple spray that
houseplants are not for nibbling.

M. Reed