newsgroup for cacti?

Brian Watson brian at spheroid.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 02:37:13 EST 2001

"Mark Jackson" <mjackson at wrc.xerox.com> wrote in message
news:9sbjdj$5f9$1 at news.wrc.xerox.com...
> "Brian Watson" <brian at spheroid.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > "Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > news:HS0G7.640$S61.105125961 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
>
> > > Cacti_etc already
> > > serves as the official source for information
> >
> > Official? In what way "official"?
> >
> > Who is the Moderator? A official representative of an international
> > cactus/succulent cultivation society?
> >
> > > on cactus & succulents for the
> > > various societies and that would not change.
>
> Well, perhaps Cereoid* means what he says.  A little work with Google,
> and:

<snip list of cactus societies>

I am happy to acknowledge, and I have never denied, that the list is widely
used and widely respected.

That does not make it official and, besides, the whole point of this debate
is to determine the case for an alternative type of forum - a newsgroup.

> It does seem clear that Cacti_etc features prominently, if not uniquely,
> among online sources of such information.

Quite.

It is very possible that, once the newsgroup is up and running, it will be
quoted by the societies you quoted as an alternative forum for discussion of
the subject.
--
Brian