newsgroup for cacti?

Mark Jackson mjackson at wrc.xerox.com
Wed Nov 7 10:19:15 EST 2001

"Brian Watson" <brian at spheroid.demon.co.uk> writes:

> "Cereoid*" <cereoid at prodigy.net> wrote in message
> news:HS0G7.640$S61.105125961 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...

> > Cacti_etc already
> > serves as the official source for information
>
> Official? In what way "official"?
>
> Who is the Moderator? A official representative of an international
> cactus/succulent cultivation society?
>
> > on cactus & succulents for the
> > various societies and that would not change.

Well, perhaps Cereoid* means what he says.  A little work with Google,
and:

The Cactus and Succulent Society of America's website
(http://www.cssainc.org/) gives prominence to their journal, newsletter,
and yearbook.  On the separate "mailing lists" page we find that Cacti_etc
is given pride-of-place as "the main English language discussion group";
32 others are mentioned, along with the newsgroup it.hobby.piante.cactus
and half a dozen chat pages and message boards.  None is labelled
"official," however.

The British Cactus and Succulent Society
(http://www.bcss.org.uk/index.html) features their journal, yearbook,
newsletter, and other publications.  It links to the same mailing list
page as the CSSA.

The Los Angeles Cactus and Succulent Society
(http://members.aol.com/lacss/) touts their monthly Chronicle and library
holdings.  There's no listing of online information resources I can find.

So a cursory investigation finds no evidence that Cacti_etc is "the
official source for information on cactus & succulents for the various
societies"; of course Cereoid* may have a list of OTHER societies in hand.
It does seem clear that Cacti_etc features prominently, if not uniquely,
among online sources of such information.

Disclaimer:  beyond enjoying hikes in Joshua Tree National Park during
my infrequent visits to California, I have no interest in cacti or
succulents.

-----
*Sometimes, it appears, an asterisk does not signify a footnote.

    After a recent trip to New York one French journalist remarked that
    leafing through a copy of /Forbes/ or /Fortune/ is like reading the
    operating manual of a strangely sanctimonious pirate ship.
					- Adam Gopnik