Tree Restoration

Rod Savidge savidge at unb.ca
Fri Aug 24 05:57:41 EST 2001

Don,

Topping is done routinely, for example below power lines.  Hardwoods sprout
readily, often producing more branches than one might wish for.  Some
species have microscopic buds buried throughout their bark which simply
grow out; others produce apical meristems adventitiously following top
removal.  Most large conifers will not sprout in the same way, so it's
important to verify that green needles are present below the point of topping.

Slipping twigs into the bark is another form of grafting.  Twig cambium
must contact stem cambium, and firm pressure must hold the two together for
several months in order for a graft to take.  It has to be done
carefully/correctly.  I suggest you read up on it before trying.  There's a
grafting expert at Cornell U. (Ithaca) who you may want to consult.

Rod

At 01:45 AM 24/08/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Thank you so much for the info. Very informative. Am I to understand though
>that I can cut the top off a tree, say a thirty foot down to a ten foot, or
>a ten foot down to a five foot tree and new branches below will develop
>where none existed so that Ican have a full tree without it being a pole
>with branches and leaves just at the very top? Also, you kind of lost me Rod
>when you mentioned slipping twigs into the bole cambial region at different
>heights. As I said, my knowledge is very limited when it comes to plants and
>trees although I'm willing to learn and have already learned a lot since I
>acquired the land. Any more info again is a help. Thanks.
>

>Don

---