a question: kill branch on small tree

Ralph O. Erickson erickson at sas.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 6 15:14:47 EST 2000

Alfred,  A friend who has many bonsai provides this answer to
your question:
'In creating artistic shapes in Bonsai trees, I can form branches
that look like they are old and weathered. This is done by
pealing off the bark and coating it with Lime-Sulpher solution.
This protects the wood by sealing it from diseases, and bleaches
the wood to look old. The branch will remain in place.'
He showed me a bottle of the lime-sulpher solution, which is
intended for use in a horticultural spray gun. He uses it full
strength.

At 04:07 PM 9/4/00 GMT, you wrote:
>I have a small ficus in a 10 gallon container.  I want to create an artistic
>effect by killing some branches, but without marking or cutting them.  Is
>there some poisen that will penetrate the bark and kill the cambium without
>killing the whole tree?
>
>Thanks,
>Alfred

---