Pinus strobus cone crops

Rod Savidge savidge at unb.ca
Tue Sep 5 20:40:44 EST 2000

In New Brunswick, Canada, we've had noticeably very heavy cone crops on
eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) each fall for the last three years
(i.e., including this year).   This is unusual as the species more
typically produces a heavy crop only every three years at best (normally
longer intervals), so I'm thinking the successive heavy crops are an
indication of a heightened inductive factor.
It takes two years from pollination to mature cone production in eastern
white pine, so if there is an inductive factor impinging on the physiology
of this species, it could have originated in 1995.

I've seen similar heavy cone burdens everywhere I've travelled in New
Brunswick and am curious to know if similar heavy crops have been noticed
elsewhere in the eastern USA (or wherever).

Rod Savidge, PhD
Tree Physiologist