White mould on African violet soil

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Mon Nov 27 11:20:12 EST 2000

If the problem is a mold, examine your potting medium to make sure it
isn't contaminated. Molds can take hold in bags of unsterilized media
or in opened bags of sterile media. If the white substance is salt
build-up, flush the medium out well with distilled water and start
using distilled or de-ionized water to water the plants, adding
fertilizer only as directed.

As for life span, I have some violets that are approaching 20, and
that is not at all unusual.  They need repotting from time to time, as
they can get rather leggy, but can go on for decades if well cared
for.

M. Reed.