Was UK. Bad summer and growing problems now other stuff....

Roger Whitehead rgw at office-futures.com
Tue Jul 25 15:31:18 EST 2000

In article <20000719074926.01839.00003201 at nso-cb.aol.com>, Kdbanglia wrote:
> Sorry, I should have stated vegetable crops rather than wild plants.

Ah. That I know nothing about. Is it a bad year, then?

> On the cowslips front, I wonder if they are part of various councils motorway
> planting schemes as they are to be seen on many motorway embankments ?

Not these, at least. They were on nature reserves and in a local park. The
latter may have been planted but if they were it was years ago; it used to be
the grounds of manor house. The local council's far too strapped to indulge in
that sort of expenditure.

> There was one award-winner from one motorway building company who had the idea
> of mixing grass, etc with soil and when mixed with water, turned on the hose
> ejecting a muddy slurry and sprayed the metal netted stone support with the
> stuff.

> I wonder if they now mix wild plant seed now or is this the efforts of those
> "motorway terrorists" or whatever those people called themselves, who mixed up
> seed in balls of mud and threw them out of the windows of cars ?

They spent a lot of money on wild flowers for the verges of the M40 when they
were building it, I do recall.

Regards,

Roger

Roger Whitehead,