Please enlighten my ignorance 8-)

Jeremy Harbinson "Jeremy Harbinson" at users.tbpt.wau.nl
Wed Dec 20 06:05:06 EST 2000

Traditionally, floral characteristics where (largely) used to determine the
family etc to which a particular plant belonged. I say '(largely)' becuase I
think that at least at the species/sub-species level other factors than floral
morphology alone where considered, such as, for example, leaf hair morphology.
With the application of molecular taxonomic techniques during the last few
years, some of the associations between plant groups have been revised, and
some traditional large-scale groupings have been shown to be erroneous. I would
presume that during the next few years/decades the application of novel
techniques for determining the evolutionary relationships between plants will
result in the validity of some groupings being re-assessed. This may mean that
some groups will be broken up, or that others will be fused.
all the best,
Jeremy Harbinson