Are there "Identical Twin" plants?

Wayne Parrott wparrott at uga.edu
Sun Dec 17 15:43:30 EST 2000

George Hammond wrote:

> Rich Cooper wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > The genetic expression curve could be measured by varying a selected
> > set of environmental parameters, and the effect of combinations of these
> > parameters could define the growth curve you're describing.
>
> GH:  Hey Rich.... you apparently understand what I'm talking
>      about.  But can't this be easily ascertained from existing
>      data without doing any experiments?  I mean, there must
>      be archives knee deep in "crop yield data" for asexual
>      clonal plants (potatoes, onions and floriculture).  For
>      Pete's sake we don't have to launch any new experiments do we?

Archives aren't knee-deep.  They go all the way to the ceiling, and then some.
Check your agronomic and horticultural journals, going back at least half a
century.  And again, the crop does not need to be asexual for it to be
genetically identical.  The plants within a given field of most of our major
crops would be identical- hybrid corn, wheat, soybean, pea, barley, tomato,
etc.  Likewise with any fruit tree which is grafted.  The list goes on.