IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

Yellow Mushrooms in house plants

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 28 10:32:26 EST 1999

Your shrooms are mostl likely Leucocoprinus birnbaumii.  This harmless
(to your plants) fungus is a common contaminant of potting mixes. 
Pick off the mushrooms before they can shed spores, and try watering
your plants deeply but less often so that the soil does not stay
soggy.  Also, these guys can cause real internal upset if ingested, so
make sure the kids and pets don't get to them.

Monique Reed

panny at my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi
> Some of my house plants have started growing the weirdest looking
> bright yellow mushrooms!
> It only seems to happen with the plants that are in a very warm, south
> facing room.  I water them regularly because the conditions mean the
> soil dries out very quickly.
> Does anyone know whether this means there's something wrong with the
> soil?  If so, will it effect my plants?  How can I stop these mushrooms
> from growing?
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

More information about the Plantbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net