Diffenbachia help

Stephen M Jankalski CEREOID at prodigy.net
Thu Sep 16 17:05:03 EST 1999

As Steve said, Diffenbachias grow best in a light humusy soil.

On the other hand, I have actually seen them grown successfully in
containers of water. Of course, the person changed the water weekly.

One thing to consider is that Diffenbachias are tropical forest plants that
normally get a lot of water and even stand wet feet for periods of time.
They also prefer a high humidity and appreciate being misted from time to
time.

Don't forget to give them a good foliage plant fertilizer as they tend to
be heavy feeders.

One should remember that dish gardens sold by florists are only short lived
because they often have incompatible plants in them. The plants in it
should be repotted separately after you receive it.

Steve Hinkson <sphinkson at worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<37E07BC0.CAA8EF6F at worldnet.att.net>...
> Well, Hi again Elaine:
>
> I think your troubles in GA are due to your humidity, actually.  The
plants are
> usually sold in a rather heavy mix, because they're top heavy, and
because the
> grower doesn't want them returned by the retailer because they fell out
of the
> pot.  The plants, though, are surface rooters, and are not tolerant of
"close"
> soil, such as you get in a heavy mix, well watered, and in a humid
environment.
> I'd be willing to bet you that if you bought a brand new one, gently
washed the
> heavy soil off the roots, and planted it in a shallow pot in a
terrestrial
> orchid mix, your troubles would end.
> Steve
>
> e.t. wrote:
>
> > How do you keep one of these things alive?  I have had them in dish
gardens,
> > individual pots, in high light, in low light, direct light, indirect
light,
> > well watered, dried out in between.  Within a week, it starts drooping,
> > turning yellow, and then dies away, no matter what kind of care it got.
 I'd