HOW TO GERMINATE ORNAMENTAL SEEDS?

joffa murph at netspace.net.au
Wed Sep 15 23:26:50 EST 1999

I can't help you with all of your list but I hope the three I can is useful
to you.  Chinese elms germinate easily, in fact were I live they grow like
weeds.  Sow fresh viable seed in spring on a 'cold bed' with a typical seed
raising media, apply directly on the surface an gently firm down..   I find
they germinate best in shady pos..  Black Birch ( do you mean Betula nigra
or River Birch)  Again sow as above.  Black Alder (Alnus glutinosa?)  Sow
fresh, viable seed in the spring on a cold bed in a typical seed raising
media.  Germination should be 6-8 weeks.