Catalpa trees

Rod Craddock rod at gw4slk.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 13:02:13 EST 1999

Mixbrix <Mixbrix at mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:7rdseu$3ht$1 at nntp4.atl.mindspring.net...
> I recently picked some seed pods (brown and dry) from a catalpa tree and
> would like to know how to plant them.  Do you plant the entire pod, or
break
> it open and plant seeds?  Only info I could find is that they like wet
soil.
> Hope someone can help.

If you're in the USA they've probably got seeds in, so keep the seeds cool
and dry until early spring, sow as Sandy suggested. As Sandy says you have a
bit of pruning to do in earlier years to develop a stem. Ours is about 30ft
high x 25ft wide at 25 years old so give it plenty of room, it's worth every
inch. We never get seeds on ours in the UK, plenty of pods but they're
always empty. Fairly brittle branches so a place sheltered from the
strongest winds would be good. I grew ours from seed, grew a few hundred one
year on a nursery I was running at the time.

Rod