Black Shrubs

Matt Smith MatSmith1 at compuserve.com
Sat Sep 11 19:20:13 EST 1999

Richard Thomas wrote:

>> Hello - I'm new to the group and wondered whether anyone could assist me
>> with the names of some (if any) black shrubs or bushes.
>>
>> The nearest I have at the moment is Sambucus nigra, which I believe has dark
>> purple foliage and pink flowers.
>>
>> Are there any hardy black shrubs available, preferably non-flowering
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Hope someone can help
>> Richard

Sambucus nigra is the elder tree, however if you ask your garden
centre for one you will get a tree with green leaves, white flowers
and black berries.  Presumeably the specific epithet nigra refres to
the berries.  If you want a dark leaved form then you should look out
for S.nigra 'Guincho Purple'.  According to the RHS Encyclopedia of
Plants & Flowers, "dark green foliage... matures to deep
blackish-purple".  It still flowers with purple/white blossom

Regards

Matt