Catalpa trees

Sandy glencasey at geocities.com
Sat Sep 11 14:03:05 EST 1999

Mixbrix wrote:

> I recently picked some seed pods (brown and dry) from a catalpa tree and
> would like to know how to plant them.  Do you plant the entire pod, or break
> it open and plant seeds?  Only info I could find is that they like wet soil.
> Hope someone can help.

Hi, yes they are very impressive seeds. You would need to break open the pods,
and sow each seed in an indivual pot, with some potting mix and keep moist and
warm.
In a book it says,
"Increase of catalpas is usually from seeds, which germinate freely and grow
strongly. As the shoots never form a terminal bud, thus resulting in the next
season's growth of necessity forming two or four branches, it is advisable that
the young plants should be encouraged to make 1.8 - 2.4 metres (6-8 ft) of
growth the first year to produce a good straight trunk before it branches."
Sounds like they grow pretty fast.

Sandy.