sego palm or something.. advise required please :

veronica veronica at MailAndNews.com
Mon Sep 6 18:39:22 EST 1999

Sego Palm, Cycas revoluta.

Interesting plant, not a palm, not a fern.

It grows slowly, putting out one set of leaves a year, typically a potted
sego
palm will make 3-6 leaves.  Note that the entire unit that grows from the
stem
(trunk) is a single leave.  The leaf is divided into leaflets.  As the
leaves
age, the leaflets turn yellow.  You should be giving it plenty of light, and
dilute fertilizer containing nitrogen and iron (other stuff too, but it's N
and Fe that keep the leaflets green).

Eventually the leaves reach a point where all the leaflets have yellowed.
At
this stage, you might as well cut them off, they're dead.

Give them light, don't let them dry out, fertilize regularly in a potting
soil
with good drainage and the leaves should last more than one year.
Eventually
it will develop into a very impressive specimen.  They grow slowly.  During
the warm months the pot can go outside, but I'd avoid direct, midday sun,
filtered or open shade is best.  They will not take frost.

Good luck.