Q: Inter-species crossing

David Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Fri Sep 3 14:01:32 EST 1999

I think the term hybrid still has a lot of uses as long as you specify
what kind of hybrid. For example, grapefruit (Citrus x paradisi) is
considered an interspecific hybrid between shaddock (C. maximia) and
sweet orange (C. sinensis).

xFatshedera lizei is an intergeneric hybrid between Hedera helix var.
hibernica and Fatsia japonica 'Moseri.' That's an example with an
intergeneric hybrid, a cultivar, and botanical variety all in one.

Many flower seeds advertised as F1 hybrids are produced by crossing two
inbred lines, which allows the owner to control seed production of the
F1 hybrid.

The term hybrid is also used to explain Mendel's laws of genetics, a
fundamental concept in biology. The great amount of hybridization in
both wild and especially cultivated species is also an important concept
in biology.

Sexually-produced offspring of an inbred line, which is homozygous for
virtually all genes, are not considered hybrids.

David Hershey
dh321 at excite.com