IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

milkweed

Starbuck pmdlandarch at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 30 12:48:26 EST 1999


>>>As far as why I'm asking about the toxicity of the plants, I am more
worried
either about my cats eating it somehow by accident (I AM trying to do my
best to keep it out of their reach) as well as if I get some of the sap on
my fingers and don't get it off well enough. If I am understanding
correctly, I would probably survive accidental ingestion, although it could
be a dangeous thing to happen, right? So I was just wondering how worried I
should be.<<<


I don't believe that there is adequate data on cats.  Most of the research
has been centered around livestock such as cows and horses.  Cats are
usually smart enough to know what not to eat, or at least have 8 more
chances to learn.

There haven't been many fatalities, and nothing is said about the compound
being especially toxic.  Some people eat the plant after 3 waters (per
another participant) so I would consider it to be a relatively low risk in
small doses, such as what one would pick up by gardening around it.

In other words.  Don't eat the green plant, don't let anyone else, and don't
lose any sleep over it.

--
To respond via email remove the "X" from the address.






More information about the Plantbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net