IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

milkweed

Chris F. drosera at cam.org
Tue Jun 29 20:16:00 EST 1999


Me again.

I don't know the latin name of my plant, but it is the common milkweed that
grows everywhere in this area that the monarch butterfly caterpillars eat.
(I'm in southern Quebec)

As far as why I'm asking about the toxicity of the plants, I am more worried
either about my cats eating it somehow by accident (I AM trying to do my
best to keep it out of their reach) as well as if I get some of the sap on
my fingers and don't get it off well enough. If I am understanding
correctly, I would probably survive accidental ingestion, although it could
be a dangeous thing to happen, right? So I was just wondering how worried I
should be.

Thanks all.

Chris F.

Starbuck <pmdlandarch at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:7lbckd$sga$1 at oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Some Asclepias are not toxic, but all should be suspected.  All parts of a
> plant contain glycosides and resinoids that can be cooked out, but are
> usually toxic when eaten raw.    Symptoms are vomiting, stupor and
weakness.
>
> A. currassavica contains glycosides, resinoids and the compound
asclepiadin.
> It  has caused death in cattle.
>
> --
> To respond via email remove the "X" from the address.
>
>
>





More information about the Plantbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net