Need advice on trees.

Tue Jun 29 20:22:20 EST 1999

At 6:36 PM -0400 6/29/99, Ray Schmotzer wrote:
>My family would like to plant a tree in memory of my father next to our
>church entrance.  The area would be only about 10' x 10' square feet.
>
>Can anyone suggest a hardy small tree for the area above that would
>survive the freezing Cleveland, Ohio winters for years to come?
>

>There is an alternate site to plant the tree with much more room away
>from any building.

Ray,

I suggest thinking about your father a bit
and selecting something "meaningful" to you
and the family.  Cleveland has fairly mild
winters thanks to the "lake effect"...lots
of snow, but mild temperatures!  In looking
through catalogs you will find a Zone map
and each tree has a zone rating.  If you pick
a tree that is hardy in the Cleveland zone
(or farther north!) then it will do fine in
Cleveland.

But seriously, was he strong like an oak, was
he evergreen like a fir or spruce, was he
colorful like a tri-color beech? Did he have
a favorite tree himself?  Did he ever say he
was as ____ as a ____. Did he prefer flowers
such as those on Laburnum vossii, or those on
Magnolia soulangeana?  Was his favorite season
winter (choose nice bark or form), spring or
summer (choose nice flowers, etc.), or fall
(plants with nice fall color such as Sassafras).
For your dad, was a flower not a flower unless
it had a nice fragrance (basswood is nice!)?
Was he "sexy"--then don't pick some sexless
crab apple with "double" flowers.  etc. etc.

I'm sorry you lost your father and I think that a
tree in his memory is a WONDERFUL idea...one that
I have recommended before to family friends.  In
a church in Michigan there is a nice red oak that
remembers one Alden Biggs...he was a tower of a
man with huge strength and the red leaves in the
fall were symbols of his Ohio State years.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479