How is the GROWTH of plants affected by COTYLEDON SIZE?

Richard Cheng richeng at fpnet.co.nz
Sat Jun 26 00:26:47 EST 1999

Hello!

I am doing a project on the effect of the SIZE OF COTYLEDON on the GROWTH of
pea seedlings before they start photosynthesis. There are two hypothesis:

 1. -Big peas will have a faster growth than the small peas as they have
more nutrient supplied from the cotyledons;

 2. -Small peas will grow faster as they have a bigger Surface Area : Volume
ratio.

Could you tell me which hypothesis is correct?