Help- Matilija Poppies failing

Henry Noble hnoble at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 25 01:10:42 EST 1999

June 24, 1999

I planted romneya coulteri, matilija poppies, about three years ago.

This year,they've just reached 3-4 feet after being cut back in spring.
Today,after a heavy rain, I noticed that some of the stems had fallen on
thestrongest growing plant. On closer look, I found that the tops of
thesome of the stems had turned grayish purple and wilted. The leaves
alongsome of these stems had all turned yellow. And the stems are
blackenedand shrivelling for about 6 inches from the ground. These stems
aredying from the bottom up and just snap right off at the ground.What
could the problem be? I hope you have some ideas for me. I live inSeattle
and we have a cold May and June, though it hasn't been all thatwet. The
plants get full sun and plenty of air circulation.

Thanks--Helen
My email is helen.gilbert at juno.com.