Orchid Cactus

Dennis G. dennis_goos at mindlink.net
Tue Jun 22 23:36:34 EST 1999

"cobaltblue" <garluer at rvi.net> wrote:

>We have an Orchid that is 4 years old.  Feed and water regularly (watering
>once per week) However it has only 1 or 2 blooms each year.  Any suggestions
>for getting more blooms?

This tells me that you are a nice person.
Unfortunately, with orchid cactus 'nice' doesn't cut it.
20 years ago we lived in a home that looked south across the valley. My wife
would hang 4 large(12") baskets of Orchid Cactus outside the large picture
windows because the flowers would pull hummingbirds from all over. When the
flowers were finished, she'd drop the baskets down into the garden below and
turn them on their sides so no water entered the soil. As she worked the garden,
she kept her eye on the baskets and when they set flower buds, she would re-hang
them for the hummingbirds. I think some years she got three  flower sets -dozens
of huge blooms dripping nectar for the hummingbirds.
YMMV.
Dennis