Calla Lillies

Stephen M Jankalski CEREOID at prodigy.net
Sun Jun 20 16:12:26 EST 1999

Dear Rose,

Only Zantedeschia aethiopica is evergreen and is the only species in the
genus that can be grown year round. The dwarf cultivar Z.aethiopica
'Childsiana' is particularly floriferous.

All the others die back to the tuberous rootstock. Most of the species
(Z.elliotiana, Z.pentlandii, Z.rehmannii, Z.albomaculata, Z.valida,
Z.jucunda and their hybrids) are summer growers and go dormant in the
winter but the recently named Z.odorata is a winter grower and goes dormant
in summer.

Perry, P.L. (1989) A NEW SPECIES OF ZANTEDESCHIA (ARACEAE) FROM THE WESTERN
CAPE. South African Journal of Botany 55 (4): 447-451, 3 figs.

Singh, Y.; Van Wyk, A.E. & Baijnath, H. (1996) TAXONOMIC NOTES ON THE GENUS
ZANTEDESCHIA SPRENG. (ARACEAE) IN SOUTHERN AFRICA. South African Journal of
Botany 62 (6): 321-324, 5 figs.

Cereusly Steve

Rose E. Morin <himmies at hotmail.com> wrote in article
<LS7b3.1037$Wr1.32800 at wbnws01.ne.mediaone.net>...