Lipstick plant flowering

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Mon Jun 14 18:13:27 EST 1999

In article <Ab_83.13186$5a.15049 at news20.bellglobal.com>,
Peter Hacksel <hacksel at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>I'm not sure if this is the best group to post to so please tell me if it
>isn't.

rec.gardens is a better bet - this group is supposed to be for technical
discussion among scientists.  There are lots of people on rec.gardens who
are very knowledgable about house plants.

>I'm wondering if anyone knows something about my "Lipstick" plant.
>I have a plant that flowers nicely a few times each year.  I have taken
>clippings from this plant, and managed to get them to grow, but the new
>plant won't flower.

Your best bet is to try to find out the botanical name of the plant, since
common names vary a lot, and there are probably many unrelated plants called
"lipstick plants".  Around here, this is usually a Columnea or Aeschynanthus
species or hybrid.  These genera are in the Gesneriad family.  This gives
you three good search keys to try to find photos and info on the web or in
the library.

>Any Ideas?

If the new plants are getting the same treatment as the original, you may
just need to wait for them to get larger.  Plants often put effort into
establishing a good root system and a large top before they indulge in
flowering.