Willow-Pollen and Honeybee Build-up during spring ?

Bernd Kuemmel bek at e-postboks.dk
Tue Jun 1 15:47:43 EST 1999

Dear Reader

I am currently investigating the following, unfortunately very difficult,
questions:

1. If I have short-rotation coppicing (SRC) willow that is harvested every
2 to 4 years, what is the amount of pollen that male willow plants would
produce during early spring (like grams per flower per day and how many
flowering days can I count on)?

2. How much of this pollen could be harvested by bee families?

3. If I increase the share of SRC willow from 0 to 5% (or 10%) of a 1
square kilometre (c. .35 sq miles) area, how much would this extra pollen
during spring mean for the build-up of the bee family (like in how much
would its size [=number bees in %] be enlarged)?

4. What would this better start during spring mean for the summer honey
production?

I especially need information on question 1.
I would especially appreciate guidance to literature, or also IN,