Life span of the strawberry plant?

KDBANGLIA kdbanglia at aol.com
Mon Jul 26 13:25:16 EST 1999

I saw on a gardening programme here in the UK that the strawberry plant only
gives good crops for about two years before needing replacing.

I've had (with a few exceptions) massive crops from the same plants for about
seven years now.

Is this due to yearly/bi-yearly lifting, soil replenishment and re-planting?

On the strength of the strawberry over the raspberry, I've found a rouge
strawberry plant with large fruits growing under the poor, almost sandy soil
under an old privet hedge!

Richard.