dying strelitia - HELP needed!

Tanja & Axel (Kohnke-) Wensing atwensing at berlin.snafu.de
Sun Jul 25 03:49:31 EST 1999

After some weeks of absence - in which my neighbor cared for my plants -
I found my strelitia suffering from illness. The symtoms are:

     - the outer leaves turn their edges inward (roll together) and
     become brown
     - when cutting of a stalk, its inner part - which normally holds
     the bloomstalks - is brown, too (could be normal...)
     - the tips of the leaves become brown

I fear that it got too much water as I found the dirt extremely wet and
when removing it from its pot there was water standing four iches high.
Also, the smell was quite awful!

So: is my strelitia rotting? If so, is it possible to stop this process?
Or could there be another reason for its looking bad??? I love that
plant very much, so any help would be really appreciated!

A desperate Axel