Internet Project on Leaf Abscission

Rik Palmans Rik.Palmans at ping.be
Sat Jul 24 08:28:21 EST 1999

We have set up an Internet project on the relation of leaf abscission with
climate and day-length. We want to share experiences of as many schools
and individuals as possible on this topic.

We invite students/pupils from schools in different parts of Europe (with
different climates and situated on different latitudes) to participate.
Even schools in other continents could join the project. (Participation
from schools in the Southern Hemisphere would be especially welcome.)

Schools and individuals could help us to gather the information we want:
information on the place you live:
- latitude, tables and/or diagrams on the (average) rainfall and
temperature during the year

- photographs of a wood (edge) in your region [format preferably 640x480
pixels], showing the leaf colors. Photographs are taken on separate days -
the same for all participants:
September: 15, 22 and 29 - October: 6, 13, 20 and 27 - November: 3, 10 and 17

- additional information on the photographs for the given day: day length
(moment of sunrise and sunset), minimal and maximal temperature

- eventual additional information that you consider as relevant.

A 'Unit of Practice' on the project can be found at

http://gallery.uunet.be/provschool/Netdays/leaffall.html

Rik Palmans <rik.palmans at ping.be>
Provinciale Secundaire School, 's-Gravenvoeren (Belgium)