Trees

Mepper zig.ventresca at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 22 22:39:06 EST 1999

Rich Bumbaugh wrote:

>    Can anyone help answer a question for me.
>
> We have done some drainage work and have filled in a gulley area where trees
> are growing, When back filling the area, we raised the dirt up around the
> trunk of the trees anywhere for 3 to 5 feet. Will this damage the tree?

Yes this will damage the trees.
You can however make attempts to reduce the damage and help the trees
to survive.
First question is, how much work are the trees worth?
Best solution (nearly guaranteed to work) remove all of the soil
that was put in the gully.
Second best solution, put in breathing tubes (or augured holes filled
with peat moss) down well into the original root zone (first 2 feet of
the original soil). Water (and fertilize if needed) through these tubes
regularly. You should dig several of these per tree depending on the
size of the tree. E-mail me if you are serious and I will explain
better.
Tree wells (i.e. digging away from the trunk) are mostly useless as
there
is not that much activity rootwise right at the trunk. The feeder
roots are out in the soil.

Mark
(Arborist and Botanist)

Reply to mark_ventresca at hotmail.com