Pony Tail Palm

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jul 13 04:00:45 EST 1999

A caudexed member of the lily family.  The caudex can reach 10 feet (3 meters) in
diameter.  Flower spike is 3 to 4 feet tall (1 to 1.3 m) and consists of  a panicle (a
branched inflorescence ) of small white flowers.  Will grow year - round, but will
tend to rot in cold damp soil.  ( so keep it dry in winter, if you live in a cool
place).
Normal growth, like the yuccas, is single trunk until first flowering.
Removing the apical merisetm (breaking the tip off) will cause branching on a juvinile
plant.
So you can have a branched specimen before it's ready to flower.
As a houseplant, it needs a fast draining mix, and the brightest spot, to grow well.
It will grow in dimmer light than that of a sunny window, but tends to get "leggy"
and more prone to root rot.
And it's not even related to palms... *wink*
Steve