Pony Tail Palm

Stephanie stephani at onslowonline.net
Tue Jul 13 01:12:11 EST 1999

Obitus <anonymous at web.remarq.com> wrote:

>Hey,
>  I hope this is the place to be asking such questions, but
>I want to learn as much as I can about the ponytail palm.
>From what I have found out so far is that they like lots of
>light and they like to dry out some between waterings.
>  If anyone out there has one of these and would like to
>share there growing experiences I would really appreicate
>it.
>  I remember someone telling me once that they don't like to
>be watered during certain stages of the year.  Is this true
>and when is this?

>- Obitus

>**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Hi!

My Pony Tail palm is now about 16 yrs old.  In the winter,  I water it
when the soil becomes completely dried out, feeding about once a
month.  In the summer, I water a bit more.  (This year is the first
year I have put it outside in semi-shade to protect it from the cat!
It is doing quite well.)  Gradually increase the pot size...it seems
the bigger the pot, the bigger the palm gets.  I remember seeing one
in a greenhouse in PA many years ago...the bulb was planted directly
in the ground....it was HUGE!

Oh, during the cold months, it sits beside a south facing window with
a sheer curtain or a North facing window.

Hope this helps!
Stephanie

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth.