a plant called rue?

Beverly Erlebacher bae at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Jul 7 13:58:10 EST 1999

In article <7lthls$7t6$1 at oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
Starbuck <pmdlandarch at earthlink.net> wrote:

>Common rue or Herb-of-Grace is Ruta graveolens (native to Medeterannean
>region and cultivated in herb gardens since Roman times.  It was used as an
>abortive, and was taken for rheumatism, bone pains, anitidote for poison,
>bee stings, snake bite, ulcers, coughs, ulcers, and a host of other ailments
>that probably weren't actually cured by it.

My Portuguese neighbours grow it to make a tea to treat the flu.

An elderly Austrian woman once told me that her mother used it to treat
the children's stomach aches.  It was very effective - after one treatment
with the intensely bitter tea, the kids had more sense than to complain
about stomach aches ever again!