Holly Infestation

Lou Dog overmanb at cwu.edu
Tue Jul 6 19:59:31 EST 1999

Maria Luna and Mark Bornfeld <bobsey at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:377D7956.9B1BB8D3 at ix.netcom.com...

> My holly bush is totally infested with something I cannot identify. The
> underside of almost every leaf has multiple white silky deposits of
> consistent shape and size: about 1 centimeter long, 3 millimeters wide
> and ½ millimeter thick. Some of the plaques have a black spot at one
> end. Although it has not caused a large proportion of the leaves to be
> damaged, some are dropping off, completely brown (I don't know if the
> leaf damage is related to the white stuff).
>
> Any ideas as to what may be the problem and how to eradicate it?

It sounds like you are having the same problem that I'm having.  I have
these small white bugs that I find all over a green foliage plant.  One
thing I've tried is a pesticide that I got at a local department store (Bi
Mart).  I haven't noticed anything yet, but it supposedly works up through
the roots to kill bugs.  Also, there is a spray you can spray on your
leaves.  It works ok.  Let me know if you have any success.