Rue as cat repellent

Chris F. drosera at cam.org
Sun Jul 4 17:24:12 EST 1999

Hi.

I just wanted to inform all of you that I purchased Ruta Graveolens(sp?)
today, and performed my first experiment with it as a cat repellent. When I
placed the plant in front of my cats they sniffed it quite happily. Then I
took a leaf and crumbled it in my hand. When I put that in front of my cats
noses, they backed off like I had just smaked their faces. One cat was less
affected, but she still did not like it in the end.

What I plan on doing is getting a few more of these plants and perhaps make
an infusion from the leaves which I would spray on my balcony as a cat
deterrent. I will keep you posted on the success or failure of this.

I am still not sure that I do indeed have the right plant since someone
contacted me off the group to tell me that there are several plants called
rue. My instincts and my test tell me I may be on the right track, but I
just can't be sure.

Thanks all

Chris F.