Martin Brown martin.brown at pandora.be
Thu Feb 18 04:35:01 EST 1999

Hybrid-T wrote:

> sarah wrote:
>

> > verse, but have a look in 'New Scientist' mid/end January for results
> > of
> > research indicating genetic material is surviving in the gut long
> > enough
> > that it could be absorbed.
>
> Are you referring to the article entitled "Frankenfears"?

No - I saw the same article and it appeared to be sound in that they
demonstrated that DNA strands were rather longer lived in the gut than had
been previously assumed.

> it out. It certainly does NOT say that genetic material could be
> absorbed through the gut.

I don't recall it saying that either, but the article in question did say
that detectable amounts of  DNA strands were found to survive in a chemical
engineered model gut for much longer than conventional wisdom believed.

> product.Maybe you were referring to a different article? The online New
> Scientist I looked at didn't have any other GM articles.

I think so - must have been in the last few weeks.

Regards,
Martin Brown