deposits

Tina Marie Johnson tojo at csd.uwm.edu
Sun Feb 21 16:02:11 EST 1999

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, plant lover wrote:

>     Hello,I water my plants once every few weeks with a nitrogen based
> fertilizer. I  noticed that when that when the soil dries out there is a
> white deposit on the soil.Also, the few plants that I have in clay pots have
> this white stuff on the outside of the pots. I am new to house plants and
> have very little knowledge about the do's and don'ts of proper plant care
> but all of my plants look healthly and most have flowers. I would appreciate
> any advice about this.
> Thx, Glenn T.

I use to get that all the time. I don't know too much about what the white
residue is, but one way to stop this from happening is to look at what
kind of soil you are using.  I noticed when I use a cheap potting soil, it
held less water, and left a white residue.  Shortly after, the soil was
prone to cracking.  What I did was instead of using simply 'soil', I mixed
the soil with vermiculite, which helped hold water, and also added a
slight bit of peat moss to aid in water holding.  This made the soil much
less prone to the white residue and cracking.
I used a  2:1 ratio of soil and vermiculite, and then a dash of peat moss.
One other thing, putting some spagnum moss on the top of the potted plant
also held in moisture.

Hope this helps.

	-Tina