Hybrid-T hybrid_T at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 15 12:52:32 EST 1999

Victoria Clare wrote:

> All absolutely true.  But alas, properly reasoned and factually
> supported advice to 'be a bit careful and think ahead' is
> un-newsworthy enough that 99 times in 100 it will be totally ignored
> in the rush.  At least panic gets noticed.

Oh, yeah, just like "War of the Worlds", right? Or... um... Y1K... or
mass suicides over the approach of a comet.... I'm sure other people
could come up with more examples...

I'll take cold scientific facts over panic and hysteria. People have a
right to know the truth even if it's not spectacular. You can't
exaggerate the facts just so people will notice.