Problem with little flies

tarantulito tarantulito at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:24:25 EST 1999

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:06:30 +0100, "Nancy Lezaire"
<nlezaire at be.packardbell.org> wrote:

>I have these little flies flying around my cactus, they seem to like living
>in the earth around this plant.
>What could be the cause an how can I solve it...

most likely these are fungus gnats. they can cause problems when the
larvae hatch in the soil and feed on the plant roots. you can usually
take care of them by drenching the soil well with a nicotine- or
rotenone-based insecticide, repeat if necessary.