Hybrid-T hybrid_T at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 14 16:35:48 EST 1999

Victoria Clare wrote:

> However, given that an alarming number of people writing to and even
> in the newspapers seem to have been hitherto unaware that food had
> genes in it at all, I suppose that it's good that:
>  a) they now know it does, and
> b) the panic is on the side of caution rather than risk.

Food has always had "genes" in it. It is good that people (hopefully)
realize this.

I'm all for caution. We certainly can't realize all the effects that GM
crops may have, especially on the environment. But I also think that
before people get totally alarmist about it, they should educate
themselves somewhat so they know what is possible and what is not. There
is a lot of hype and hysteria surrounding this issue already.